Prince Harry & Meghan Markle Reportedly Refused To Present At 2020 Oscars

Meghan Markle and Prince Harry were reportedly approached to present the award for Best Picture at the 2020 Academy Awards on February 9, but the couple decided to opt out of the invitation.


Shutterstock_editorial_10231473b

Photo credit: shutterstock

Photo credit: shutterstock

According to Hello! magazine, Meghan, 38, and Harry, 35, were offered an opportunity to make an appearance at the Oscars, however, they turned down the chance to present. “They were honoured by the request, but declined the invitation, ” a source told the publication.


Shutterstock_editorial_10519805ag

Photo credit: shutterstock

Photo credit: shutterstock

The award for Best Picture was instead presented by legendary actress Jane Fonda and was won by the South Korean film Parasite. The insider added that the ceremony organizers hoped the twosome would take part in the Hollywood event. Their appearance would have been their most high-profile since Meghan and Harry announced they would be stepping back as senior members of the royal family in January.


shutterstock

Photo credit: shutterstock

Photo credit: shutterstock

The former Suits actress and the Invictus Games founder made their first public appearance together since news of their royal exit hit the airwaves earlier this month. The pair attended a private JPMorgan event at 1 Hotel in South Beach on February 6. Harry even gave a speech to the attendees.


shutterstock

Photo credit: shutterstock

Photo credit: shutterstock

“It was all very hush-hush, with a lot of security. Meghan and Harry headlined the event as the keynote speakers,” a source told Page Six about the Miami bash at the time.


Shutterstock_editorial_10434194bi

Photo credit: shutterstock

Photo credit: shutterstock

Meghan and Harry have been living in Canada with their nine-month-old son Archie since their exit. An insider divulged to Us Weekly on February 12 that the former military man is “happier” living in North America than his native country of England.


shutterstock

Photo credit: shutterstock

Photo credit: shutterstock

“Harry’s much happier in Canada and feels a lot more relaxed,” the insider revealed to the publication. “So far he doesn’t regret the move.” Meghan has also been adjusting to her new life away from the royal family.


Meghan Markle & Prince Harry Are Hoping To Spend Their Summer In LA

Photo credit: Shutterstock

Photo credit: Shutterstock

A different source dished to Us Weekly last month that she is “so happy” with the move. “She doesn’t come from millions. She’s worked hard to get to where she is today,” the insider said. “[Harry] is really excited about the next chapter in their lives.”

What are your thoughts on Meghan and Harry turning down the offer? Sound off in the comments below!


For access to all our exclusive celebrity videos and interviews – Subscribe on YouTube!

Stay up to date with the latest from OK! Magazine.


Sign up for OK! INSIDER now!